02 03 John Brown Kin: Blog Caroling 2010 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Blog Caroling 2010

34





















Thanks to FootnoteMaven for suggesting Blog Caroling! Bloggers from around the world, all sharing their favorite Carols. I went back and read all of the previous 2 years posts, and enjoyed every wonderful musical moment. I "hear" the music in my head as I read the lyrics. What a joyful sound we all make. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my Blogging Friends!

My Carol is "Here We Come A-Wassailing."

I have such fond memories of this song. For many years, when I was a child, my parents would take me to the Methodist Church Christmas Concert. It was a special and magical night for me. We dressed up in our finest, I got to stay up really late, and go to "an adult event". I sat mesmerized by the hand bell choirs, youth and adult choirs, soloists, and more Christmas music than should be allowed in one sitting.  I loved it.  At the end of the evening a group of carolers dressed in Edwardian period costumes would stroll around the room singing this song, and inviting the audience to join in.  They then served us "figgy pudding" and Wassail (non alcoholic of course). Such wonderful memories filled with the family, the music, the taste and the excitement of Christmas.

Here We Come A-Wassiling
English Traditional Christmas Carol


Here we come a-wassailing
Among the leaves so green;
Here we come a-wand'ring
So fair to be seen.

REFRAIN

Love and joy come to you,
And to you your wassail too;
And God bless you and send you a Happy New Year
And God send you a Happy New Year.
Our wassail cup is made
Of the rosemary tree,
And so is your beer
Of the best barley.

REFRAIN

We are not daily beggars
That beg from door to door;
But we are neighbours' children,
Whom you have seen before.

REFRAIN

Call up the butler of this house,
Put on his golden ring.
Let him bring us up a glass of beer,
And better we shall sing.

REFRAIN

We have got a little purse
Of stretching leather skin;
We want a little of your money
To line it well within.

REFRAIN

Bring us out a table
And spread it with a cloth;
Bring us out a mouldy cheese,
And some of your Christmas loaf.

REFRAIN

God bless the master of this house
Likewise the mistress too,
And all the little children
That round the table go

REFRAIN

Good master and good mistress,
While you're sitting by the fire,
Pray think of us poor children
Who are wandering in the mire.

REFRAIN

 Written for the 2010 "Blog Caroling" event started by FootnoteMaven.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38