02 03 John Brown Kin: Farewell Party for Mr. and Mrs. Keesey 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Farewell Party for Mr. and Mrs. Keesey

34
I love old small time newspapers for their local color stories and coverage of parties and family events. While researching on Newspaper.com, I found this one about my grandparents. As I read it I was reminded of a photograph that I had somewhere in my office.  I dug out the picture (I have GOT to get my photos organized!) and thought I would share this charming story with you.

The Mrs. Paul Keesey of Pepperwood in this article is Beatrice Cook Keesey, [B184XV21] my grandmother and great granddaughter of John Brown [B184]



Eureka Humboldt Standard, 8 Feb 1962, Thu, Page 9
 
     Mr. and Mrs. Paul Keesey of Pepperwood were honored at a recent farewell party at the home of Mrs. Keesey's sister, Mrs. Georgia Cook [B184XV23]. Assisting as hostesses were Mrs. William Machado, Mrs. Keesey's sister, Mrs. Gus Landergen [B184XV22] of Rohnerville; Mrs. Cook and Mrs. Jack Hower of Pepperwood.
     Mr. and Mrs. Keesey were given a miniature pine tree, potted for planting in the yard of their new home. On the tree were dollars, from those attending, to be used as the couple desired, Refreshments included 'Good Luck" cakes, decorated with the words and with roses and forget-me-nots, and a variety of layer cakes, which were cut and served with coffee buffet style.
     Both Mr. and Mrs. Keesey are long-time residents of Pepperwood. She is a descendent of the pioneer, George Cook.
     One of a large family of children, Mrs. Keesey came to Pepperwood as a little girl. Her father was a driver of the old stagecoach, in the day when that was the one means of travel between Willits and Pepperwood. Keesey was born in Humboldt County, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Keesey, another of the area's old time families.
     Mr. and Mrs. Keesey's son and family - Mr. and Mrs. Paul Keesey, Jr., [B184XV211] and children Janie [B184XV2111] and Alice [B184XV2112], live in Palo Alto. The senior Keesey are going now to live in Sunnyvale, about six miles from there. Mr. and Mrs. Keesey, Jr., and Janie arrived early Saturday to assist in the move.
     Attending the open house were: Mesdames Hardy Fisher, Leland Hunt, Helen Holmes, Quent Mitchell, Bob Hacki, Helen Petty, Aletha Va Noy, Florence Porter, Agnus Russell, Vernon Syphers, Stan Sarvinski, Jack Hower, Harry St. john, Gilbert Robinson, Ticki Moore, and children, Mike and Marrylee; Shirley Porter and Paula, and Georgia Cook.
     Also Mesdames and Messrs. Gus Landergen, Clinton Cook [B184XV27], Perry Johnson, Gary Cook [B184XV272], Tom Webb,  Jim Cook, Gil Wallen, Clifford Cook [B184XV25], Earl Cook, Sydney Milsap, Robert Millsap and baby Dawn Marie, William Machado and children Danny, Sandra and Jerry; Lloyd Pat Patterson, Ed Gull and Ed F. Burpee of Poctello, Idaho. Gifts were sent by Mr.and Mrs. Isain Anderson, Mrs Ed Burpee and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Millsap.
######

I have just one question - it says that my folks and Janie (my sister) attended the party but where was I? I was 2 years, 4 months old, wonder where I was.



Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38